Over the last few years I've discovered a handful of great antique shops in cottage country. The recipe for the perfect shop is is location (like a barn or run down warehouse), clutteredness (there must be a thrill of finding things"), assortment of items (because each visit is different) and also - the friendliness of the owners. That for me, makes a great shop. Going into a well staged store just isn't the same. So here are what I consider to be the best 4 spots to find cool finds in cottage country this Summer.

1. Argyle Antiques
Argyle, Ontario

Argyle Antiques was my first introduction to country antiquing. Growing up my parents would drive through Argyle to get to the cottage. (See my last post on them here) In an old barn, it is stuffed with a treasure trove of fun things - and at great prices. I'd recommend popping in if you're looking for furniture - I always spot wood pieces I wish I could take home to refinish or paint. I think it's only open weekends, but if you can stop in I really recommend it. If you want to recreate our "road trip" be sure to stop in at the baker/shop across the road and pick up a butter tart. We always get one to share amongst the passengers in the car. Ps. Have to mention that the owner is really, really nice. Love this spot!

Update: Summer 2013 - It appears that this spot has changed ownership. It has been cleaned up inside and no longer has the same charm as before (and prices seem higher)

More after the jump.....

2. Gull River Co. Warehouse

Coboconk, Ontario
As you're getting further into cottage country you'll find the Gull River Co. antique "chain". Originally three shops, they have consolidated into two. The first one is at the corner of Highway 48 and 35, right as you enter Coboconk, Ontario. It's packed with fun finds. I picked up an old Crown Jar that has The T. Eaton Co. stamped on the back (more on that later). The owner was so fun to talk to, as he told me stories about the history of the jars. I spotted a ton of furniture that I wanted but our small little car couldn't carry it - and us home. I'd go here if you'd like to find some furniture to paint.

3. Gull River Co. 3 Antiques
Coboconk, Ontario

As you drive through Coboconk on the way to Norland, on your left you'll find the 2nd shop of the Gull River Co. Family. The sign says Gull River Co. 3 Antiques (The three possibly a nod to the fact that they previously had three shops) It has expanded since last summer, taking over an additional warehouse space. I picked up a ton of stuff from them. This is where I pick up wood boxes, and this year some beautiful pottery.

Update: Summer 2013 - Still one of my favourite places to visit. 

4. Red Rock Antiques
 Fenlon Falls, Ontario

My new find and favourite shop is Red Rock Antiques just outside of Fenlon Falls, Ontario. In love with Teak furniture? You MUST go here. They have an additional barn full of the most beautiful teak sets. I fell in love with a pin ball machine - and I kid you not when I say it almost came home with us. I picked up an old crown jar from 1940 that I adore. The prices aren't as inexpensive as the previous three shops that I listed, but they are most definitely fair and better than you would find in the city.  A wild assortment of furniture, accessories, and books. Love! Website: Red Rock Antiques

Update: Summer 2013 -Prices have raised since my last visit - some pieces are now listed at Toronto priced which was a little disappointing but the place is still worth a visit and you may still find some amazing pieces. 

There you have it, My favourite four spots from Summer 2012.

xo Linds

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top