My Mom made some candied orange peels last week for the holidays and I kid you not, they were the best things I had ever tasted. I was hooked. I decided to try my hand at making my own batch this past weekend. I think this will be a new tradition over here - It's a simple thing to make, not many ingredients and plus - oranges, and chocolate remind me of the holidays. (Perhaps because of the orange ovations that my parents used to have scattered throughout the house, and that I used to eat ALL the time). So here is how I made them, including a video. 
 


More photos after the jump as well as the text instructions. ;)




YOU WILL NEED:
  • 4 Navel Oranges 
  • 3 Cups of White Sugar 
  • 1 Cup of Water 
  • 1 Candy Thermometer (It needs to be specifically a candy one as regular baking ones don't go high enough) 
  • Chocolate Chips to melt 

 INSTRUCTIONS

  • Peel 4 Navel Oranges, slice the peels into thin slices.
    Note: I did thin, I did thick. It's a matter of personal preference. They tastes awesome no matter what you do. (But thinner slices go a longer way)
  • Put the Peels in a pot of water, bring to a boil. 
  • Remove the pot of peels from the stove, strain and then repeat Step 1. again. You want to do this three times - this softens up the peels. 
  • After you have done it the third time, set the peels to the side. 
  • Put three cups of white sugar in a pot and add 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Be sure to continuously stir the mixture while it gets to the point of boiling. 
  • Once it reaches the boiling point, stop stirring and add the candy thermometer - Bring the sugar mix up to 230 degrees. (No stirring) 
  • Once at 230 degrees remove the thermometer and add the orange peels. Let them sit for 50 minutes. You can stir occasionally but don't do it too often. 
  • After 50 minutes, remove the peels from the stove, drain and place the peels on parchment paper. Let them sit for an hour or two. They need to cool down, but still be sticky. 
  • Once cool, but still sticky place them in a bowl of sugar and coat. 
  • Set them aside overnight. This gets them to harden. 
  • The next day, melt some chocolate (I used the double broiler method) and dip the slices into the chocolate. Place them back on the parchment paper. 
  • Let them sit in room temperature. 
  • Eat them all. 
That is it. I have to tell you that this was such a fun project for me to do. Not only were they delicious to eat but creatively it was such a fun outlet for me taking the photographs and doing the video. After a busy, crazy month work wise - This kind of thing is what I just love to do - figuring out new photographing techniques, styling, baking. I do it because I adore it and the blog is just canvas for me to put it all on. Anyhow, as much as I love the chocolate dipped orange peels - this was also as much about just creatively having fun. :) I hope it inspires! xo

Lindsay

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top