I'm so close to revealing the "after" of Peter and Lindsay's space! But before I do - I have a few more steps I want to elaborate on. First I showed what they picked for the Living Room but I have yet to show you what they picked for the bedroom. Truthfully, I was having the hardest time coming up with a "look". Which I thought was probably relateable to many people so I thought I'd share my process on this room, because in the end, the after is ridiculously fun and the process is hopefully inspiring for someone else. So for the bedroom, I'm going to do things differently and show you the actually process for the room, and hold back on the reveal until later.



Linds and Peter picked the Whitley Collection over the Summer. A beautiful white collection. You know me and white. It's a match made in heaven, so I was pretty supportive of this choice. They picked a King size bed, and matching dresser, for their room. We opted not to get the side tables - I think when looking at furniture collections, it's best to bring in some pieces not from sets, to make the room feel different and, more "designed". But in all honestly, the Whitley collection is pretty classic so had they opted for the side tables, it would have looked equally as nice. One concern I had was that the dresser in the Whitley collection has a curve to it, which I didn't know if it would work or not, but once in the space, I can tell you - I was proved wrong and it is amazing for a smaller room, as the curve gives you a big dresser but doesn't take up too much space. It reminds me of a Barbara Barry piece. It really is beautiful.

So our timing was rather tight as I needed to work around care for Oscar, running my shop, my art collection expansion, and driving out to Peterborough, about 2 hours away, and coordinating paints, accessories etc. So at the end of August, Linds and Pete took possession of their place and within 24 hours we were on the road prior to their official "move" to do some painting. Decorating a room when you're not living in it yourself, or not in the same city is ridiculously hard and light changes everything. So picking a colour for this room was a wee bit of a stress for me. From the pictures that Lindsay and Peter showed me, I felt that the existing colour (shown in the top photo) was too dark. To ease my mind about decorating in a different city, I chose a wall colour I was comfortable with - Benjamin Moores Classic Gray for the walls, and Chantilly Lace for the trim. Sound familiar? It's my bedroom wall colour! 







Oh yeah. They have 10 foot ceilings. Crazy. After painting the living room and bedroom, we packed up and drove home.



A few days later, Lindsay and Peter moved up to their new place that was freshly painted, and a day later, Leon's delivered the pieces that they had picked while at the Leon's at The Roundhouse. (Ps., they have free delivery on local delivery orders over $498)  It was a bit crazy - but the delivery team do all the heavy lifting and put it together. They got a King size bed - and because of the narrow staircase that they have to get into their place - they chose a split box spring which helps! Ps., That mattress is RIDICULOUSLY comfy. I kind of want to switch my mattress now. (They picked the Posturepedic Proback Reflex from Leon's)

Now it was time for me to pull together a look for their bedroom. I always feel like you need a vision for a room in order to "decorate" it. I don't like using bedding as a decorating focus - It's too much for me, and not my style - I much prefer white sheets and white coverlets, so I was looking to focus in on pillows and accents to make this room comfortable and stylish, but not overly so that they would feel that they were living in a showroom. I decided that a plaid wool throw that I love - that has blues, greens and purples - and a hint of yellow - would be my jumping off point. It was the second that I chose a focus for the room - that planning became a snap.






As a side note, similar throws can be found on Etsy (where I've purchased many, as I have a wee addiction to plaid wool throws) They are a great way to add a punch of colour to a room. Anyhow, I brought the throw into Tonic Living and Janine and I sorted through the racks and found some pretty gorgeous pieces. Tonic whipped up some stunning custom pillows and last Monday I drove them up to Peterborough.



I hope this shows the process of the room! Sometimes you just need that one piece, whether it be a headboard, curtain fabric, or rug - that is your jumping off point. :)
Disclaimer: As part of our #HelpingMyLittleBrotherDecorate / #MyLeons, my brother and sister in law were provided the following items for their new place: Whitley King Size Bed, Whitley Dresser and Mirror, Mattress. Sewing, pillows and fabrics for the bed provided by Tonic Living. Full source guide coming with the reveal. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top