Last Fall, when we were closing down the cottage for the season, we vowed to do update one room of the cottage - and that one room was my Mom's - somewhere comfy and cozy - just for her. Before we opened up the cottage for the Summer, my Mom and I went up to do some painting. As the Summer winds down, I realized that I had yet to post this pretty cute makeover that was done on a shoe string budget.  Armed with paint brushes and a pretty heavy duty paint gun - we got to work. To save money we used the furniture that she already had in the room. So first things first .. I sprayed...




.... and I sprayed,


.... and I sprayed. :) Mom chose the paint colour for the dresser and I picked the gray/white for the side tables. 

Primed the cedar shakes
We decided to paint her wall of cedar shakes that we felt really made the room dark. But it also added some great texture to the room. So instead of taking them out (who knew what lay behind it - so ignorance is bliss) we painted the wall with a white oil primer to keep the cedar shingles from bleeding through any paint - and then I got out my paint sprayer and sprayed that whole wall down with Cloud White. It was GLORIOUS!

There was no budget to re-carpet the floor as much as would have loved too. (We had hired Tom, our local contractor to replace the ceiling tiles, and two windows in the room - so we blew our budget right there) When Tom pulled the old orange carpet out thankfully there was a wood floor in good shape underneath it - I painted it with a floor paint by hand and let it cure. Next up we started to fill back the room with furniture..


Mom and I found this rug at HomeSense for a whopping $80 and it was perfect. Although it's technically too small for the room, the the room is SO small that we could fudge it by moving the rug more to one side, so that when you walk into the room it looks like it is larger than what it is.




One thing I did insist on for my Mom were some big, monster Euro pillows to bring some pattern into the room. The fabric on the front is by P. Kaufmann  and Retreat Blue Citrine. I purchased it at Designer Fabrics but it has since dissapeared from their online store, so you can find it here.  The back of the pillows, which is hard to see above is Tuscany Blue from Tonic Living. The blue matches the floral fabric perfectly - adding a nice element / dimension to the pillows. This is an economical way of getting a wow factor with your pillows - spend more on the front fabric, and find a less expensive coordinating fabric for the back.



Ikea's Ranarp Lights were the perfect added touch. New bed linens and a fresh coat of paint on the walls make a huge difference.

I found an old wooden tray at Value Village and it had a weird duck motif on it. I just spayed it Designer Gray by Dulux and voila! It's perfect. We picked up the little Ralph Lauren light from HomeSense and it's a nice sweet light for at night. I kept wanting to bring in some greenery or something but Mom was pretty clear that the less - the better. It's not a room for clutter - which means when she comes up she can put all of her toiletries out and.



It's kind of hard to get the entire look of the room because it is so flippin' tiny but I do hope what you feel is a cozy warm room that now feels fresh, clean, and inviting. :) A few updates were all that were needed - the most expensive updates were what we hired Tom for - the new windows and, new ceiling tiles. But what makes the room is how we kept going with the new decorative pillows that you can prop up to read with, a fresh coat of paint and some new lighting.

SOURCE LIST
Wall Colour: Cloud White by Benjamin Moore
Side Tables: Designer Gray by Dulux
Dresser Colour: Can't remember but I'll find out
Pillows: Hired Tonic Living to sew, Front Fabric purchased at Designer Fabrics, Back fabric purchased at Tonic Living
Quilt - HomeSense
Sheets - HomeSense
Lighting - Ikea Ranarp Lights on the side tables, Ralph Lauren light from HomeSense on the dresser
Side Tables - My Mom's own
Bedframe - My Mom's own


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top