Likely the biggest part (and expense) of revamping our TV room is to address our window coverings.  I loved your suggestions on how to get some privacy in that room. But for a variety of reasons - from not being a look/style I liked (I'm quite particular) to more logistical reasons like we couldn't install a ceiling mounted hardware because the ceiling is sloped - none of the ideas evolved into a solution. It's really a hard room. Because no one over here could come to a decision, I reached out to Janine from Tonic Living and asked her opinion. She gave me some great guidance - although she said we could do drapery much like in our living room it wasn't going to be without issue so my gut said to go with roman blinds.



Although with Tonic you can shop and order online, (that's actually what I did with Oscar's room when we did his drapes) if you're in Toronto you can actually visit their warehouse space .... which I had never done. But because the warehouse is in my neck of the woods my Mom I popped over to see fabrics in person. I tweeted them before coming so they knew to expect me.

I needed to first find out if I could afford the expense of the labour of them making the drapes. The expense of the labour dictates whether I could afford my pick in fabrics. The labour when you multiply it by 5 large windows and a door adds up. But we felt that it was worth the investment into this room.

For the visit the fabric I had picked online prior to my visit was Tuscany Linen, Oatmeal Slub. And although I came home with a few samples in my purse.... my first pick - the linen - was the one. What can I say. I'm a creature of habit.



Granted it will have a lining (which isn't shown) but the linen lets light still into the room so you're not totally blocking light - and natural light is one of the lovely features of this room. The linen has this amazing texture to it that adds a layer of warmth. I appreciate I'm hiding the gorgeous windows Fieldstone installed it's the only solution to give us the look we want, privacy, but we can still pull them up to open our windows in the Summer - something we couldn't do last Summer.

I'm triple checking my measurements and sending those in to Tonic soon. It's not an inexpensive project for this room - we have five windows and the glass door. But when you break down the cost per window it is totally worth it.

So my tips if you're contemplating hiring out for something like this is: (a) always get samples and hold them up to the window to see how much light you would get - and ask for what the lining fabric will be (b) get a quote on what the labour will cost and ask how much yardage you will need (c) based on how many yards the project will take - this will affect the fabric you pick. This room needs 6-8 yards of fabric - I wasn't going to go picking $80 a yard fabrics - but the $17.95 linen was a comfortable pick for me. It gives me a look I love, and stays within a budget.

I'm kind of excited. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top