I'm pretty darn excited to reveal the makeover I did for my brother and sister in law using awesome pieces from Leon's. (Read previous posts on this collaboration here) I'm going to break it into two posts - the first up is the Living Room!



The living room is a bright beautiful room on a second floor overlooking a slightly busy street in Peterborough with 10 foot ceilings and beautiful architectural details. I felt as though the room could easily be in Paris. It seems fitting then, that Lindsay and Peter chose the Tristan couch from Leon's - the linen, the curves and tufting reminds me of something that you may see in a Parisian home. Going with my original inspiration, this is what we ended up pulling together...






The piece that they picked for their living room was the Leon's Tristan sofa. Everything else is purchased on a budget or, handed down to the couple. The look is comfortable for a young couple - but the couch will transition with them as they change their style, or, living quarters.  One thing I've realized over the years of decorating my own home, is that a small room doesn't mean you need a small couch. One may have worried that such a grand couch would look too big in this room, but instead, it helps fill the room up - and makes everything feel to scale.

Here are some key things that I think pull this look together

Couch Changes
Couches sometimes come with matching throw pillows. Matchy-matchy isn't my style, so consider recovering the pillows they provide you with (with your couch purchase) or, do what I did and invest in bigger pillows. And, splurge on feather inserts, to give your guests extra comfort when they sit down.

We added two larger (24 inch feather) pillows to the couch, with a wool plaid I sourced from Designer Fabrics. To keep costs down, I did one side of the pillow in  the woold plaid, and the opposite side in a black velvet. The wool I chose for the front was not what I'd call "budget" but by pairing it with a less expensive fabric it brought down the cost. I also went with 24" pillows, which adds to the comfort of the whole couch. I feel as though 16" pillows / 18" pillows for a couch of this grandeur are too small, so it's fun to invest in custom pillows in a fabric that you love. Just because a couch comes with pillows doesn't mean you have to use them!

Art On The Walls
I think gallery walls are amazing - it's a great way to bring in a lot of colour or art to a room to give it personality (see our living room as an example). There are a lot of resources out there as to how to do a good gallery wall - we just eye balled it - making sure that the pieces stayed within the width of the couch. We mixed in DIY Art (I made the "Darling, let's be adventurers" using stock photography found online) with their own vintage artwork, and a framed print of a deed to the moon, a gift from Lindsay to Peter a few years back.

Extra Furniture
Things like the coffee table were handed down to the couple from my Mom, and that stunner of a leather chair used to be my Grandfather's chair (I almost stole it from their apartment) The acclectic mix of pieces gives this room personality and a lived in vibe that is comfortable, which is exactly what Linds and Pete wanted! If you don't have a family member getting rid of furniture, go to second hand shops and keep your eye open for great pieces.

And there you go! A pretty comfortable living room, a nod to Canadiana - but really reflective of the couple. :) Stay tuned for the bedroom reveal tomorrow!


SOURCE LIST FOR LIVING ROOM:
Couch
: Tristan Sofa from Leon's
Pillows: Custom made - Fabric from Designer Fabrics 
Art: Darling, Lets be Adventurers. (Custom made by me) Similar ones found on Etsy
Deed To The Moon: Available Here
Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree: Ikea
Ikea Light: Ranarp, by Ikea
Leather Chair: My Grandfather's chair
Paddle On The Wall: Sourced at auction, painted by me - inspired by this paddle
Coffee Table: Handed down to Peter and Lindsay from my Mom
Rug: Handed down from my Mom
Wall Colour: Classic Gray by Benjamin Moore




See other posts in this series - This post is brought to you by Leon's. Leon's provided the products from their store, to Peter and Lindsay, as part of this blog series. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top