It's time for the #ProjectPinkRoom reveal. Skipping back again, this room was designed for one of my close girlfriends daughters. (Read here as to how the project started - pretty much casual conversations around the playground) To pull this room together, I took to browsing Etsy - if you've been a long time reader, you'll know that I've been doing "Etsy Find" posts since 2008.  That site is my go to spot for unique items, and the fact that it's online takes the stress out of me having to source unique items around the city. Because I was really sourcing a lot of items from Etsy in my initial design I reached out to Etsy to tell them about the project - and Etsy loved the idea of helping make over this girls room and gave us a few Etsy gift cards to go shopping with which helped with what I would consider the "layering" of the room. But to help really finish the room, my clients Mom + Dad chipped in for the rest. I think this is a really great example of how you can source the craziest fun stuff off Etsy, mix it with Big Box store items, and get a look that is truly special. To remind you, below is what we started with...


Above is what we had - which really, is awesome for anyone because of that headboard. But it needed some "finishing". My girlfriend was not sure the pink walls she had painted a few years back was the right shade. I really thought it was perfect - the softer the better as it allows for bringing in punches of colour elsewhere. It's all about the layering in my mind, and that's what I came in to do...... So, here is what I did..................................

Tassel Garland Above Bulletin Board - Etsy , Gold scalloped pillow on bed, Etsy, Magazine Rack (bottom left) Etsy



EEEEE!!! I was seriously giddy with excitement at every picture hung, and when the chandelier went up. (acting like this)


Vintage alarm clock via Etsy

Gold Magazine Rack for Books - Via Etsy
Drapery and Hardware - Tonic Living 
Goose via Etsy - Shop here


Painting by Pamela Munger 






OMG. I love this room so much.

So here are some details on the room.

Marquee Light &  Chandelier
Originally I was going to put the marquee light (the light up Z) above her bed  - and can see that there is space for us to put it there. However, I found the crystal chandelier at a live auction, it was too good not to buy, so it took center stage in the room. Although nothing is hanging on the walls above the bed - when you look at the bed straight on the chandelier is placed perfectly to fill that wall space. (We swagged it to be centred above her bed) The Z now sits on her new desk, and is a pretty fun addition.

Bulletin Board
Other DIY's included making the bulletin board using tacks we sourced from Etsy. Not only does Etsy have artisans, but they also are a great source for finding supplies for projects. Don't forget to turn to the site for trying to source those tricky items that you may need to finish off a project. I've purchased SO many supplies for my crafting from Etsy.

Drapes.
OMG. The drapes. We knew we wanted to do something fun, so my girlfriend and I went into Tonic together to look at fabrics. After a few minutes of browsing we picked up Secret Gate Blossom and the two of us knew, right away, that it was *the* fabric. We didn't necessarily need the drapery to act as privacy or, sun protection for the room as they already had blackout roller shades installed in the room. So all we needed were drapes to highlight the window. By going this route you save money on fabric. Adding a blackout lining also adds weight and, bulk. So I wanted to really minimize that and keep it light. We did a pinch pleat at the top (my favourite!!) and I chose the Old Gold curtain rod and, end cap. I wanted to keep the end cap very simple, so not to compete with what else was going on in the room. The Old Gold finish is stunning - not too gold, so it really will grow with the girl as she grows up.

Side Tables
For the side tables, we found two different, but similar sized side tables from the Salvation Army and I painted them in the same shade. Although they are different tables - by painting them the same colour, it unifies them and you don't really even notice that they are different.

Original Art
Pamela Munger's painting was the first piece we got for the room. I'm in LOVE with Pamela's work, and I think her pieces are pretty economical considering her amazing talent and the size of the pieces. Typically one may not bring in original art to a kids room, but I think if you see an original piece on Etsy that is in your budget, you should go for it. I love, love Etsy for sourcing original art.The parents bought a new desk for her but we added in a vintage wood chair that I had found, and I sprayed it the same soft grey as the side tables. There's a lot going on in the room, so I wanted to keep certain things consistent, so not to compete with the major pieces - the chandelier, or, Marquee Light.

The room is fun. It's not serious, and it can grow with my little client as she gets older. If you wanted to tone down the room later on, you may one day replace the headboard with something in a linen. Easy switchups (and inexpensive changes) can be done down the road to make it less pink, and more grown up.

And there you have it! #ProjectPinkRoom complete.

xo Linds





Items Sourced From Etsy
Painting on Wall: Pamela Munger, Etsy
Gold PillowEtsy
Pink Wool Throw: Etsy
Pink Pillow On Floor (for when friends come to hang out): Etsy
XOXO Framed PrintEtsy
Vintage Alarm ClockEtsy
Gold Magazine Rack (For her books) Etsy
Pink Tassel Garland: Etsy
Goose on the wallEtsy
Bulletin Board: Tacks - Etsy / Fabric - Home Depot / Bulletin Board - Staples
Missing --- We bought this print as well, but it didn't arrive in time for the shoot. :( But it's super cute!

Other Items
Bed: Clients Own (HomeSense)
Don't Grow Up It's A Trap: The Penny Paper Co. 
Bedside Tables: Salvation Army, Painted by Lindsay
Curtain Fabric + Sewing: Tonic Living (Fabric here)
Hardware for Drapery: Tonic Living - Old Gold Rod and End Caps
Chandelier: Lindsay scored at an auction but similar ones here
Yellow Vase on Side Table: Cottage Country find but similar ones here
On The Desk: Pencils, Tape Dispenser, Personalized Note Pad - All via The Penny Paper Co. Statue of Libery - clients own.
Marquee Light: We made it!!! (how to, coming soon) or you can buy one from Etsy. :)


Shop similar items to that I bought for her room, in my #ProjectPinkRoom category on Etsy!

Disclaimer: This post was done in collaboration with Etsy. We were provided a gift certificate to purchase some items from Etsy sellers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top