Justin made me a big letter J a few months back and I'm finally getting around to finishing it.

DIY Hanging Letters

It's original purpose was this:

Cork K

But after a couple months of planning how to make it procrastinating, I changed my mind. I really don't think I'd like how far this sticks out from the wall. So, I decided to paint it to match our new living room and hang it above the TV instead.

DIY'ing a Hanging Letter is such a simple DIY project that no one should ever buy pre-made/designed letters from a store.

HOW TO DIY HANGING LETTERS

The easy way
Step 1: There are two ways to go about this. If you're not great with a jigsaw or don't have a handy husband who is, you can buy pre-made letters at a store like Micheals.

Step 2: Depending on the material of the letter, sand it down a little so the paint is able to soak in.

Step 3: Paint that sucker! It's a good idea to sand it down in between paint layers too.

Simple as that.

But since I have Justin by my side, we made our own letters using scrap plywood. So here's how we did it:

The DIY way
Step 1: Print/create a stencil. We printed a gigantic letter J from our computer for a stencil, and marked it onto the scrap plywood.

Step 2: Cut out the letter with the jig saw.

IMG_6532

Step 3: Sand down the piece of wood (especially if it's plywood, it'll be rough) and make sure you even the edges out. I had to use a little sheetrock compound to fill in a few holes and scratches on the plywood for a smoother surface.

IMG_6537

Step 4: Apply primer. Sand again.

Step 5: Apply paint. Sand off any abnormalities or paint runs.

Step 6: If you want to hang this, secure photo hangers to the back. These can be purchased at any home store (and probably places like Micheals too!)

IMG_6547

And you're done! It really is beautifully easy. It probably took us 45 minutes to make this, including the dry time. Simple!

IMG_6545

What do you think of the finished product?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top