So, bathroom vanities. Such a small piece of furniture but for our washroom it's a major element. We're bumping out a wall for it so it's something that I've been fretting over for quite some time.  This is (knock on wood) the final post on vanities so I'll recap quickly what has been happening.*

Going back to the beginning - we first sourced a few quotes on a modern walnut vanity from custom cabinet makers. The look was inspired by one of Sarah Richardson's bathrooms that I always liked and Janice's bathroom captured the look as well. However, when the quotes started coming back pretty high - we settled on the idea of going with a big-box store vanity and painting a modern colour. This choice wasn't ideal (and there was a lot of debate about me painting the vanity myself)- but at the time was the only option that we thought we had.
Vanity that we were close to buying at TUBS in Toronto



Then I spotted the modern walnut vanities at Tubs and things instantly fell into place. Tubs had the exact style of vanity that we were getting custom cabinetry makers to quote us on with the exception that the vanities at Tubs had handles. It was a great Ah-ha moment that the "Bath" stores that I thought were going to be out of my budget weren't - and that Big Box Stores like Lowes and Home Depot aren't the only place where you can find a huge selection of vanities. But there was a little bit of a downside to the vanity that I had decided on.



Although I really liked the look - walnut, wall hung, and we got our drawers (that was a must!) the one thing that kept bothering me were the handles that came on the unit. Oh, those handles.

Its funny how such a small element like the handles makes such a difference in a look. I felt like the handles pushed the washroom design a lot more to the modern side - when I was hoping for more traditional. But I had come to the conclusion that sometimes, you just have to settle. Handles it was.

BUT - there was a development. In my late night searching, I came across another style of modern vanity - exactly the same style as the one we were about to order, but this one had no handles.



Excited about the find, I asked Tubs if they carried the vanity - which they didn't. I called around, found a few places in Toronto that carried it but all were out of stock. I ended up bringing the picture with me to my local bath store, Bath City, and BINGO! they could order it in for me. It's terribly hard to buy something sight unseen but I've found that with vanities, everything is pretty much the same when you're dealing in the price bracket that we are.
So the vanity has been ordered. 27" wall hung vanity in walnut and it will arrive at the end of the month. Just in time for the washroom renovation. Yay!


To recap our vanity search, here are some places we visited or talked to about pricing:
Tubs, Multi Kitchen & Baths, Lowes Canada and we ended up buying from Bath City,

*Ps., I hope you don't mind the super long posts, but I think/hope that these kinds of posts maybe give insight into our thought process, so that you can perhaps have your own "ah-ha" moment and learn from our mistakes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top