I'm on a curtains kick! This weekend, Justin & I finished my never-ending curtains project with our DIY Roman Shade for our gigantic kitchen window.

We looked into how much it would cost to order an actual Roman Shade for this window, and because of it's unique (and big!) size, it would have been nearing $800.

Um, no thank you. 

So DIY it is.

How to DIY Roman Shades
Kitchen Roman Shades


My first accomplishment? I actually sewed something by myself - and it didn't turn out horrible! Now I feel like I can take on the world.

How to DIY Roman Shades for an odd sized window


I found the perfect fabric in a curtain panel at Target. My plan was to turn the panel sideways (so it's long instead of tall), then trim & re-sew the ends. 

IMG_7448

Re-doing the edges & sewing was the longest part of this DIY. I measured the height and width of my window and added 3 inches to allow for a 3 inch hem, pinned it off, then sewed it right up.  

IMG_7450
IMG_7451

For the elements of the Roman Shade, we didn't really use any tutorial, but instead made it up as we went along. Those are the perks of having a carpenter as a husband!

Justin cut a piece of 1x2 scrap wood to the width of the fabric so we could hang the shade up. We used this piece to drill into the wall above our window.

Justin then cut three more pieces of 1x2 (approximately) scrap wood to the width of the fabric, then cut an angle into each so when lifted, the pieces of wood would hook on each other. We placed these three pieces of scrap wood at: 4" from the top, exactly the middle of the curtain, and 1" from the bottom of the curtain.

IMG_7453

We painted the scrap wood grey to match the back side of the curtains and glued them onto our fabric using superglue.

To make sure the scrap wood pieces and fabric stuck together, we applied pressure with my remarkable book collection, and let them dry overnight.

IMG_7457

Once dried, Justin screwed the top piece of scrap wood (under the fabric) into our wall above the window. Here's what it looked like.

IMG_7458

And this is what it looks like when it's rolled up!

IMG_7463

We're pretty happy with how this turned out, and now we can pull the 'shade' down when watching TV during the day so we don't have a glare!

DIY Roman Shades

And now it's your turn! Show off your latest DIY projects below. 

The DIY'ers


The Rules? They're simple!
  1. Take a picture of your DIY and link it up below. 
  2. Text link back to Home Coming or pick up The DIY'ers button from the left sidebar and include it in your post so others can get involved in The DIY'ers.
  3. Become a follower of Home Coming. I'd love to have you! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top