Frames

What do you do with all of your old decor when you've completely updated your room's color palette??

You buy all new decor.

Wrong.

You paint it!

I'm not about to bring all of my things to Goodwill and start all over, so I'm repurposing as much of it as I can. And I've got TONS of things to repurpose. You've already seen my DIY colored chandelier, and now I'm on to picture frames.

Here's you can see the four pictures above our dining room table from long, long ago when we lived in this house the first time around. These frames are gorgeous, but I knew if I didn't paint them white, I'd likely never use them again. So, the decision was made.

OLD Dining Room
Our dining room about 5 years ago, featuring the wooden frames.
Now painting picture frames seems simple enough, but it actually takes awhile. Here's a couple of tips:

HOW TO PAINT WOODEN PICTURE FRAMES

Step 1: Take the glass, matting and backing out so it's just the frame.

IMG_6377


Step 2: Sand the entire frame (don't forget the insides!) with a sponge sander. Then clean off the dust.

2012-11-186

Step 3: Paint a coat of primer. Since these are wooden frames, I used actual paint/primer instead of spray paint because coats more evenly and soaks into the wood.

IMG_6381


Step 4: Repeat the sponge sanding.

Step 5: Paint a coat of paint. I used Behr's Paint & Primer, so it was really just a second coat of paint. But you get the idea.

IMG_6383


Step 6: Sand off any paint runs or imperfections and touch up as needed.

And here's how they turned out! What do you think?

2012-11-187
IMG_6400

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top