I played hooky from work yesterday afternoon - I had products in production and nothing waiting my immediate response - so we scooted over to the new aquarium here in Toronto. I've been excited for this to open ever since I saw it being built. I am fascinated with underwater creatures - I could go weekly and find new things to stare at. Unfortunately it is a wee bit expensive - It cost almost $90 for Aubrey, Oscar and I to go - but by the end of the visit I had even Aubrey (who is pretty skeptical of things) raving about how well they did and how worth it the visit was. Oscar was in heaven, and loved seeing animals he had only seen in books up close.



There is a portion of the exhibit that you go through an underwater tunnel that is where you see the sharks. The genius part of this is that 1/2 of the floor is moving. Very slowly moving, but moving none the less, which means that traffic in this tunnel doesn't build up and you get to have a look without people standing in one space blocking traffic. If you want to stop and look at something you hop off the moving floor and step to the side. I was flipping out the entire time seeing sharks, Oscar on the other hand was more enthralled with the moving floor (See above) I think that was a pretty big deal for him. ;) (That's Aubrey trying to tell Oscar to look up at the fish)

The last time that I was at an Aquarium was in Chicago on a Grade 8 trip and I've wanted to go back ever since. We're thinking of taking a trip to Chicago one of these days and go back, but now it's nice to have our own aquarium in the city.

Anyhow, it was such a nice visit for all three of us that I thought I'd post some of our family photos.

xo Lindsay

Ps., All of this being said, I'm a little fence about how I feel about aquariums and zoos. (I'm 90% pro for them, 10% unsure) I feel a little uneasy sometimes thinking of animals in captivity but on the other hand, selfishly it's amazing to expose Oscar (and myself) to learning more about animals and seeing them up close.

P.Ps., For those that don't get the title of this post - watch this. I often say this while lying on the dock looking at fishes and maybe said this with my nose against the glass yesterday. (You can skip to 1:15 for the exact reference)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top