Hi Everyone. Today Amy from Amy Krist is sharing a super easy project that I'm definitely going to have to put on my to do list. Such a good project!  Take it away, Amy. 

 Hey guys, today I'm sharing an easy, but high-impact DIY project that you can make for any room in your house.

cornice-board-diy-made-from-craft-store-foam-boards_diy

We have a large picture window in our master bathroom and it lacked that "something." The colors in our bathroom are dark brown [cabinets], beige [tile] and more brown [shade]. I desperately wanted to break up all that brown and decided on a modern looking, clean lined cornice board. It's super easy and you can switch out the look easily with new fabric. Here are the supplies you will need:
  • 2 large foam boards [30" x 20"]
  • dense styrofoam
  • 3M styrofoam adhesive spray
  • duck tape
  • 2 small L-brackets
  • 1 medium L-bracket
  • fabric of your choice
  • utility knife
  • staple gun
  • glue gun
2.diy-cornice-board-using-foam-board
    STEP ONE: First measure the width of your window and add an extra inch to each side. My master bath window is 58" wide [freakishly large for a bathroom if you ask me] so I planned to make my cornice board 60" wide.

    STEP TWO: Place both foam boards on a flat surface and tape together.

    3. diy-cornice-board-using-foam-board_tape-down-middle

    STEP THREE: Now it's time to make the sides. I wanted my cornice board to stick out 4" from the wall so I cut two pieces of foam board at 4" x 20" and taped them to the sides.

    4. diy-a-cornice-board-out-of-foam-board-and-styrofoam

    STEP FOUR: Flip over your cornice board. Since mine is so large, I had to place a pillow in the middle so it wouldn't collapse. Now you're ready to add the styrofoam on top to bulk the cornice board up a bit. The only product I've found that works on sticking styrofoam to any surface is this product from 3M.

    5. diy-easy-cornice-board-made-from-foam-board

    I measured the length and width of my cornice board and cut the styrofoam accordingly. I wound up attaching 4 pieces to the front.

    6. cornice-board-diy-made-from-foam-boards
    7. diy-cornice-board-using-foam-board-and-styrofoam
    8. cornice-board-easy-diy-made-from-foam-boards-and-styrofoam
    9. make-a-cornice-board-from-foam-board


    Not a perfect job with the utility knife, but no worries.

    STEP FIVE: Let the adhesive dry for about an hour. I used a bunch of cookbooks to apply enough pressure.

    10. diy-your-own-cornice-board-using-foam-board

    STEP SIX: This is the fun part. Grab your favorite fabric and lay out on a flat surface print side down. This was easy for me, as I used a white cotton fabric. Place your cornice board on top of the fabric and cut out enough fabric allowing for at least 1 1/2" seam on all sides.

    11. make-an-easy-cornice-board-using-styrofoam-and-foam-boards

    STEP SEVEN: Use your staple gun and start attaching your fabric to the back side of the cornice board.

    12. diy-an-easy-cornice-board-using-foam-boards

    STEP EIGHT: I used my glue gun for the tricky spots.

    13. diy-cornice-board-using-styrofoam-and-foam-boards

    STEP NINE [optional]: I wanted to add some bold lines to my cornice board so I grabbed my 1" black grosgrain ribbon and hot glued two pieces on the front.

    14. diy-a-cornice-board-using-foam-boards
    15. diy-cornice-board-made-from-foam-boards-and-styrofoam


    STEP TEN: The most head-scratching part of this project was figuring out a way to hang this bad boy. L-brackets always seem to do the job. So I hot glued 2 small brackets on the side panels so that I would be able to nail this cornice board into wall [not the ceiling]. I glued them right at the top of the cornice board.

    16. diy-cornice-board-made-from-styrofoam-and-foam-boards

    I then hot glued a medium size L-bracket in the middle of the cornice board. This time I glued it so I would be able to screw it into the ceiling. [Since the cornice board is light hot gluing L-brackets to it is sufficient to hold it in place].

    STEP ELEVEN:
    Attaching this to your wall/ceiling is rather easy [if you have a partner]. Since I was doing this alone [kids at school, husband at work] I decided to hammer 2 nails into the wall where the holes in the small L-brackets are. Once I did this, I was able to hang the cornice board from the nails just like a picture. Lastly I screwed the middle L-bracket into the ceiling using 1 screw.

    Here she is....

    17. make-a-cornice-board-from-craft-store-foam-boards
    18. easy-diy-cornice-board-made-from-foam-boards
    19. diy-cornice-board-easy-made-from-foam-boards

    This is such an easy, inexpensive DIY. You can bang out two or three of these in an afternoon. As always, the longest part of this project was the adhesive drying time.

    After completing this project, I was inspired to use foam board to create some other items around our house. I'll be posting one of them this week! wink. wink.
    20. signature_hugs_amy4
    Linking up to: Make it Pretty Monday, Motivate Me MondayMonday Funday, That DIY Party, Tuesdays at Our Home, Remodelaholic, Time to SparkleWork It Wednesday, Simply Create Thursdays, Sunday Best, Inspire Me Please Creativity Unleashed, The Humble Brag, Friday Flash Blog, Lovely Ladies LinkyWow Us Wednesday,  Making Monday, Before and Afters, Wow Me Wednesday,  Inspiration Gallery,  Feathered Nest Friday,  The Party Bunch, Link it or Lump it,  Frugal Crafty Home Party, It's a Party, Worthwhile Wednesday's, The Makers, Do Tell Tuesdays, Thursday Style,

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    Top