(Sung to the tune of White and Nerdy, which Justin abnormally loves...)

So, who's old and dirty?

Old and Dirty Lights
This guy is!
One of the simple updates that we finally got around to was this discusting light fixture above the stove in the kitchen.

IMG_0637
IMG_0635

LOOK at all of that grease (and bug poop?!) caked on that sucker. Disgusting. You can obviously tell that the family that rented this house from us did not enjoy cleaning.

So after much procrastination, I finally got it cleaned up and made a few updates.

Justin took the fixture down and left the cleaning up to me (how nice of him, huh?). With a lot of elbow grease, I got the grime and grease off the fixtures. The scrubbing clean of these babies took well over an hour. I mean, they were bad.  Here's a scrubbed fixture next to a non-scrubbed fixture to show you the difference.

IMG_1319

Whaaaat? Ew.

So after a good cleaning, I decided to spray paint the entire system white to match with our color scheme. Since I already had a can of white spray paint laying around the house, this was a "free" upgrade.

IMG_1322

I also decided to add a bit of color to the light fixtures, so painted the once black edging in a bright blue/mint to "match" with the living & dining room.

IMG_1327

While it doesn't match perfectly with the living/dining room, it was another can of spray paint I had laying around the house. So close enough is good enough for me!

And here's the final product.

IMG_1359
DIY light fixture upgrade

Big improvement, right? Now I don't have to fear grease dripping off the light fixture onto my forehead. (The grease on our ceiling is another story though.... I guess I'll have to scrub that off soon too.)

Before After Light Fixture

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top