Hi everyone! Today I'm excited to show off another piece of our master bedroom remodel!

I'm a firm believer in affordable design and decor for your house and would never pay top dollar for designer anything. And since I consider myself an amateur artist, I'm here to share how to simply paint a beautiful piece of abstract, modern art.

DIY Abstract Wall Art

A few months ago, I shared this awesome DIY abstract piece of artwork that I painted on Simply Dream & Create. I absolutely love this piece of artwork, and have gotten quite a few compliments on it both in person and through the blogosphere.

I painted this piece of artwork about a month before we had our Master Bedroom reveal, so now I'm able to share how it looks in the space! Yay!

Master Bedroom Painting

And the best part, is that this was such a simple project, I know all of you can achieve this look too. So, on to the tutorial!

How to paint Abstract Canvas Art


I got my inspiration from this piece that was on a One Kings Lane sale in September. It is by an amazing artist named Kristy Gammill, and was selling for around $230. Her work really is amazing, but I just can't afford the price tag for my little fixer-upper house.
DIY Wall Art Inspiration

Back in our apartment days, Justin made me a few large canvases which we painted solid colors to bring some brightness into our apartments without needing to ask permission of the landlord to paint the walls.

Color in Apartment

They worked out perfectly throughout our several years of apartment living, but now that we're in our house again, they didn't serve a purpose.  Instead they hung out in our downstairs storage room, doing nothing but collecting dust.

IMG_2629

So, with the re-purposed 47" x 41" homemade canvas, two medium-sized paint brushes and a bunch acrylic paint (which I buy from Micheal's) I set out to painting.

DIY Wall Art Paint
DIY Wall Art Brushes

This style of painting is a very simple one to achieve since there really isn't a wrong way for the final piece to look. And for any novices out there, here are a couple of tricks to the trade:

 - In order for the colors to blend together nicely, you need to work quickly. This blending happens only if all the paint is wet.  In order to achieve this quickness, I mixed the majority of my colors before I started painting.

- I'm typically a perfectionist, but with a painting like this you want to move quickly and without abandon. There is no wrong way of painting this, so use smooth brushstrokes, wherever your mood takes you.  Have fun with it!!

DIY Art Close Up

- Keep your brushstrokes all in one direction.  I only painted up and down to ensure that my lines were all smooth and uninterrupted.

 - Make it your own! I loved the colors of the painting, so decided to keep the majority of the painting very similar to the real one, but added in some navy to tie back to the color palette of the room that I'll be putting this in.

 - Hot pink is a really hard color to mix. So while I mixed all of my other colors with red, blue, yellow, white and black, I decided to purchase hot pink paint to save myself the trouble. 

DIY Abstract Art

And that's my final piece! Overall, it took me about 90 minutes to paint and was a ton of fun! I love working on projects in which there is no right or wrong. So carefree!

Here's some more photos of how wonderful it looks in our Master.

Master Bedroom Remodel with Painting
Abstract Canvas
DIY Abstract Artwork in Master Bedroom


I hope you all have the confidence now to take on your very own Abstract Canvas Artwork!

Linking up to: Give Me The Goods Monday, Make it Pretty Monday, Motivate Me MondayMonday Funday, That DIY Party, Mod Mix Monday, Tuesdays at Our Home, Remodelaholic, Time to SparkleWork It Wednesday, Simply Create Thursdays, Sunday Best, Inspire Me Please Creativity Unleashed, The Humble Brag, Friday Flash Blog, Lovely Ladies LinkyWow Us Wednesday,  Making Monday, Before and Afters,  Pincentive Blog Hop, Wow Me Wednesday,  Inspiration Gallery,  Feathered Nest Friday,  The Party Bunch, Link it or Lump it,  Frugal Crafty Home Party, It's a Party, Worthwhile Wednesday's, The Makers,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top