I spotted a painting at an auction and fell in love with the colours and the brush strokes that are thick and confident - a style I'm often drawn to. I also loved the blues, greens, purples and pinks - colour pallets I'm in love with.  I bid on it not knowing the artist (they didn't make any note of it in the auction) and the picture of it was quite far away but loved it so placed a bid - and won. Aubrey picked it up for me and I got giddy when it came out of the van. Here it is above - moments after it came inside. I adore it. I realized I had no idea who painted the piece so found at the bottom a signature.





I googled the artists name - I originally misread the name as Jane Ewart and it came back with nothing. But then this morning I looked at it again and realized it actually said Jana Ewart. I googled her name and low and behold - she's a Canadian artist and, has a portfolio site. If you've read my blog for awhile, you'll know I love art  and collecting art has been something I've wanted to do, but as a young family hasn't allowed. This piece is really special to me as it has an interesting story behind it, and realization that it's from an artist in my province. I truly feel that you should buy art you love, and lucky for me this piece was totally a fluke and in our budget.

I e-mailed Jana and we had a lovely back and forth discussion via e-mail and since I had the opportunity, I asked her if there was a story behind this particular painting. She wrote back and explained that her friend, Linda Stephen, who is a well known chef and cookbook author entertains cooking classes in her home. Jana wrote to me "I had just finished a class and was thinking about here cute salt box style house  and  herb and flower garden  in the back..." 

Isn't that delightful!? Anyhow, so this post is to really tell you to buy art you love and to introduce you to this Canadian artist. We have no idea how it ended up at auction, but I'm terribly glad it did as it is now something in my home! :)

Jana Ewart's website: http://www.janaewart.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top