PC Garden hosted a garden party at my home two weeks ago with a guest list included Peter Cantley, Bob Martin of Martin Farms and some pretty amazing bloggers (many of whom I had never met!).  Because I was playing hostess I didn't really snap too many photos during the event (I was yapping away - I can just talk forever and lose track of time) so when you have a moment, go to Debra's blog because she has a great number of photos. Part of the party was getting down and dirty - making some planters. I have always been pretty intimidated by making planters so I have always defaulted to just used ferns on our front porch. But what I walked away with from this party was was Peter's easy description of how to make a fabulous, professional looking planters....
The trick - you have a Thriller, Fillers and third - the Spillers. Seriously. It's ridiculously easy once you know that! First, you have the THRILLER - One single amazing tall plant. Perhaps a grass - but it's the Pièce de résistance.  It goes in the middle, and then you build around it. Then you have the FILLERS. Peter explained you use three, in a triangular pattern around the Thriller. They shouldn't get as tall as the thriller, instead - meant to "fill" out the pot. Them lastly, you have the SPILLERS. A spiller would be a plant that does just that - it overflows from the pot. Again, you plant these in a triangular pattern, filling in the spaces left from the fillers. My favourite spillers have to be Potato Vines. Love them. See? Three easy steps.

You can read more about container gardening in the links below. And I have a giveaway, but it's being hosted this time over on my facebook page. So hop on over there! xo

More information that you may like:
PC Garden
Fine Gardening.com
Container Gardening HGTV.com
Bob Martin of Martin Farms YouTube Video

I was not financially compensated for hosting the event. I was given some plants, vegetables and planters for my own garden. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top