Amy is on a roll with her guest posts lately! She's taking on another big trend that I'm obsessed with, the cowskin rug. Everyone give a big welcome back to Amy Krist!  

So what is an animal lover to do when she is also itching for a cowhide rug to grace her floor? She makes one out of vinyl! No animals harmed in the process.

how to diy a faux cowhide rug

This is one of the easiest projects I've done to date and it took all of 15 minutes from start to finish. Love that.

I used an ostrich print vinyl that I already had on hand from my bar stool project [that is yet to be finished by the way]. Being the collector of animal shaped rugs, I used my other faux cowhide rug as a guide. However this could also be used a guide for those of you non-collectors.

make your own faux cowhide rug from vinyl

I didn't have a ton of vinyl leftover so my cowhide rug was a smaller version than a standard size. My rug is apx 36" wide at the widest point [the "back legs"] versus the 96" range.

Next fold the vinyl in half length-wise.

make a faux cowhide rug from vinyl

Now begin sketching one half of your cow, which will yield a perfectly proportioned bovine.

make a diy faux cowhide rug
how to make a faux cowhide from vinyl

I used a regular old pencil and drew all the curves of my little guy eventually ending at the tail section. Once the shape resembled my other rug, I cut it out using my sharp scissors. This ensures that I get a crisp cut.

how to make a faux cowhide rug from vinyl
how to faux a cowhide rug

Now unfold your little guy and be amazed!

how to faux a cowhide rug from vinyl

I was so pleased and amazed that I had a faux cowhide rug with an animal-friendly vibe in about 15 minutes! It still has a few folds and wrinkles from when it was shipped, but they will relax over time. Another benefit is the more foot traffic the better as it will "age" the rug and make it look more authentic.

how to make a cowhide rug from vinyl

I chose to leave my guy au-naturale as I already have enough brown and black going on in our home. I'm sure albino cows exist somewhere, right? If you prefer an authentic spotted cowhide, I would probably use black and brown Sharpie markers and allow it to dry a good 3 days before walking on it.

make a faux cowhide rug
diy faux cowhide rug in minutes
faux cowhide rug made from vinyl
diy faux cowhide rug from vinyl

I can hear all the cows in the world breathing a collective sigh of relief.

how to diy a faux cowhide rug
  signature_hugs_amy

Linking up to:  Motivate Me Monday,  Monday FundayThat DIY PartyTuesdays at Our HomeRemodelaholicTime to Sparkle,  Work It WednesdaySunday BestInspire Me Please Creativity UnleashedThe Humble BragFriday Flash BlogLovely Ladies Linky,  Wow Us Wednesday, Making MondayBefore and Afters, Wow Me Wednesday,  Inspiration Gallery,  Feathered Nest Friday,  The Party Bunch, Link it or Lump it,  Frugal Crafty Home PartyIt's a PartyWorthwhile Wednesday'sThe MakersDo Tell TuesdaysThursday StyleLink'n Blogs


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top