I'm digging the whole paint + update the old furniture thing right now. It's terribly relaxing, which confuses Aubrey. (He walks in the door after work, I say to him - "Peace out, I need a break. I'm going to go bust out my paint sprayer and paint some furniture". You may think I'm kidding. But I'm not) But part of updating furniture means also, many times, updating hardware. Occasionally you can get away with using the original hardware but I've found that 90% of the time - replacing the hardware is a crucial element to modernizing a piece) So I decided to do a roundup of some of my favourite pieces. I'm right now focusing on brass, because I have always loved the look and also, I think it's pretty much the trendiest / coolest thing ever.



 Lion heads. Ugh, I can't get enough. That bad boy is from Lee Valley my go to place for hardware.


Schoolhouse Electric knocks it out of the park with their brass hardware.


Like the ones above. Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Aren't they droolworthy? (Available at Schoolhouse Electric)


/  1  /  2  /  3  / 4  /  5  /  6  /  7  /  8  /  9  /  10  /  11  /  12  /  13  /

So a little more about some of them...

The School House Electric ones (1, 2, 3, 4) are heavy and obviously of quality. The knobs (1,2 and 3) have a brushed finish to them that I ADORE but it's so hard to find. I love, love their hardware.
The knobs (5, 6) from Lee Valley I've used on my side tables - you know, that Ikea Rast hack from 2008. The handles have worn well, and are in my opinion pretty timeless. Then we have the drawer pulls..
The drawer pull (7) from Lee Valley is gorgeous. It's hammered detailing makes it stand out -- but also comes in at one of the most expensive, at $18 per piece. Although too rich for my blood for a piece that has a lot of drawers - consider using this on a single drawer piece perhaps like I did here. If you like the look of brass drawer pulls - consider Martha Stewart's available at The Home Depot for under $2.00 each.


The Lion's heads are pretty awesome. I love the one from Lee Valley (2 inches) - it's large and stately. I also love the one I picked up from my local Home Depot. It's not shown on the Canadian site but the one on the US site looks rather similar.  The picture on the site doesn't really do the lion justice, it's really rather gorgeous for a $2.00 pull. 






Anyhow, there you go! Some online resources for gorgeous brass hardware.

Schoolhouse Electric
Lee Valley 
Home Depot

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top