We inherited a brightly coloured plastic Playskool picnic table from neighbours who were moving and didn't like it need it anymore. It was really generous offer and as a Mom, I was like excited it was a great place for the kids to sit and eat / play but the decor side of my brain was pained with the red and blue because it just stood out like a sore thumb in our garden. For the last 12 months it hid in our parking space because I just couldn't handle seeing it in my garden. I tried some days to have it in the garden but within a few hours I was dragging it back into hiding. Some days I debated donating it or posting it for free in my local Facebook Buy & Sell group. But then I would tell myself I was being ridiculous and needed to chill out. But one day I couldn't take it anymore and I walked out to where it was and sprayed it with a can of white paint that I had in my basement. I felt better almost immediately.




I sprayed it white because that's what I had on hand, and managed to get the whole thing done with a few cans. But the white was pretty WHITE and even though I no longer saw red, blue and yellow - I saw a frosty white table that stood out just as much. So I tried to be all "artist" like (That was Aubrey's comment, not mine) and did a preppy stripe....

I thought it was pretty cute but I really just wanted something basic so I ended up spraying the entire thing taupe using the Krylon brand. (In Toronto it's sold in Canadian Tire) By- Bye white, and hellllooooo neutral. 

I love, love it now. It now has a permanent spot in our garden, and when I look outside I don't even notice it. So, the next time you see a plastic outdoor thing-a-ma-jig and you think "OH MY HEAVENS IT'S UGLY!" Just remember this post. And head over to your Home store and get a can of spray paint and spray that sucker a really boring colour like I did. 



Happy painting!

Tools Used: Krylon Spray Paint for Plastic

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top