It's like Amy is talking right to me with this post. I'm always looking for simple DIY projects that make a big impact and this is the King. Everyone give a big welcome back to Amy Krist

By the time my daughter turned one, I had amassed over 3,000 pictures of her! No joke. She was my first-born and the second she graced our lives I turned into her little paparazzi. Needless to say, she runs when she sees me head for my camera now. I've tamed it down considerably, but these thousands of pictures are just sitting on my external hard drive doing nothing. So I created these cute and easy picture holders so I could showcase some of my favorites.

instagram picture holders made from scrap wood

This DIY couldn't be easier. All you need are some scrap pieces of wood [I used a piece of wood that was 1.5" thick and 3.5" wide], a chop saw, sandpaper and a few pictures.

To start I cut my blocks of wood down to 3.5" long x 3.5" wide. I found this was a good size to hold a picture 400 px x 400 px.

instagram picture holdercreate an easy instagram picture holder

Next I angled my chop saw at 40 degrees.

easy instagram picture holder from scrap wood

To prevent my block from shooting across the garage [found this out the hard way a couple weeks ago] I used a wood board and applied a bit of pressure. I made sure my wood board was thinner than my wood block so I didn't cut through it while making my cuts.

Now simply cut a line in your wood block apx 1 inch deep.

Once all cuts were made I gave each block a quick sanding with a fine grit sandpaper.

picture holder made from scrap wood

Be sure to sand inside the cut you just made as it can be a bit sharp. [My DIY'er in training got in on the action].

easy picture holder for instagram photos

You can stop at this point, but I wanted to seal my picture holders with a poly. I like Minwax's poly in satin finish. It has a very subtle sheen to it.

use scrap wood to make a picture holder

You can see the difference in the above picture with and without the poly. The picture holder on the left has one coat of poly. It really brings out the grain in the wood.

You're done!

easy picture holders made from scrap wood

I created these "Polaroid pictures" from card stock, color print outs of my pictures and a glue stick. Simply cut a piece of card stock down to a proportionate size to your picture holder [mine are 3.5" wide x 4.5" long]. Next print out any picture you have, or make a copy of one laying around your house. I printed these pictures at 400 px x 400 px [3" x 3"]. Rub your glue stick on the back of your picture and glue to the card stock. To get the "Polaroid" look leave a large margin at the bottom. I left a 1 inch margin/gap on mine.

Now enjoy your fun, vintage-inspired picture holders!

instagram picture holder made from scrap wood
create an instagram picture holder
create an instagram picture holder
instagram picture holders made from scrap wood
signature_hugs_amy
Linking up to: Make it Pretty Monday, Motivate Me MondayMonday Funday, That DIY Party, Tuesdays at Our Home, Remodelaholic, Time to SparkleWork It Wednesday, Simply Create Thursdays, Sunday Best, Inspire Me Please Creativity Unleashed, The Humble Brag, Friday Flash Blog, Lovely Ladies LinkyWow Us Wednesday,  Making Monday, Before and Afters, Wow Me Wednesday,  Inspiration Gallery,  Feathered Nest Friday,  The Party Bunch, Link it or Lump it,  Frugal Crafty Home Party, It's a Party, Worthwhile Wednesday's, The Makers, Do Tell Tuesdays, Thursday Style,


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top