Everyone welcome Amy from Amy Krist  today who's sharing some pretty stellar bookends for her boys room. Awesome! 

After returning from our two week vacation to Germany this week I was itching to get back to DIY'ing. My head is spinning with fresh ideas but my rear is dragging from the jet-lag so I am diving back into the creative world one baby step at a time. I conjured up this project somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean last week. It is ridiculously easy and cheap for anyone who wants to fill a spare 20 minutes. It's functional, cute, colorful and best of all...inexpensive!

colorful bookend using old plastic toys+bricks

I don't know about your house, but ours is full of plastic toys. For some odd reason I found two identical dinosaurs stuffed at the bottom of my son's closet so I grabbed them before he noticed. You can use any chunky toys for this project. Supplies you will need:
kids bookends created from old toys and bricks_supplies

To start, add a nice glob of Gorilla Glue to the bottom of your toy and center it on top of the brick.

bookends made from bricks and plastic kids toys

Then let it dry completely.

kids bookends made from old toys

 Once dry, give both pieces a nice coat or two of your favorite color. I chose Meadow Green by Rust-Oleum.

bookends for kids using old toys
bookends for kids using bricks and old plastic toys

This color is a fun, happy green and is very eye-catching. I chose to paint each bookend with two coats so the color seeped into all the grooves.

You can stop at this point, but I wanted to add a fun detail to these bookends so I wound some of my nylon Masons twine in neon green around the base. I simply wrapped the twine like I was wrapping a present but you can create any pattern you like.

colorful bookends using kids old toys and bricks
bookends for kids using their old plastic toys

 To save my son's dresser from any further scratches, I stuck a few pieces of felt furniture pads onto the bottoms of each bookend. You're done!

bookends for kids using bricks and their old plastic toys

Aren't these fun? Like I said, you can use any old toy you have laying around the house to create these fun bookends. I have plans to make a set for my daughter using toy horses and will share those soon.

use old plastic toys to make colorful bookends
bookends created from kids old plastic toys

They certainly add a fun punch of color to any kid's room and are a great way to upcycle an old neglected toy laying around. This project cost apx $7.00. I purchased the bricks at Home Depot for $0.50 each and had the remaining supplies already on-hand. The rest of the supplies cost a few dollars each.

Go grab a few of those neglected plastic toys and turn them into something fun and practical! See you soon!

colorful bookend using old plastic toys+bricks
signature_hugs_amy
Linking up to: Make it Pretty Monday, Motivate Me MondayMonday Funday, That DIY Party, Tuesdays at Our Home, Remodelaholic, Time to SparkleWork It Wednesday, Simply Create Thursdays, Sunday Best, Inspire Me Please Creativity Unleashed, The Humble Brag, Friday Flash Blog, Lovely Ladies LinkyWow Us Wednesday,  Making Monday, Before and Afters, Wow Me Wednesday,  Inspiration Gallery,  Feathered Nest Friday,  The Party Bunch, Link it or Lump it,  Frugal Crafty Home Party, It's a Party, Worthwhile Wednesday's, The Makers, Do Tell Tuesdays, Thursday Style

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top